Monday, March 02, 2009

Missing The Point ?

As a follow up to yesterday's post about the World Club Challenge, I was pleased to read a headline this morning stating that the Rugby League authorities are thinking that it would be a good idea to increase the number of clubs taking part in the 'challenge.'  After all, a so called WORLD challenge is a bit silly when only 2 teams from 2 countries are involved.

Never mind that this new idea is based on tv rights and therefore financial considerations, I was still happy to have placed the notion in their minds, seeing as they'd obviously read my blog and decided to do something about it !  I'm obviously an inspirational blogger.  

I think I'll blog about the Middle East next.

Sadly things are rarely what they seem and as I read more of the article, I got the definite feeling that the bright sparks at the Rugby League lost the plot somewhere along the (try) line.

Their new idea is to add more teams BUT add them from the same two countries - England and Australia !!  So if their masterplan goes ahead, the top 3 teams from England's Super League will play the top 3 teams from Australia's National Rugby League. Brilliant.

With apologies to any fledgling teams from Mars and Uranus, I'm going to suggest they rename the competition so that these 6 teams will be playing for the Global Universe World Challenge Trophy.  

I'm still pretty sure the games won't be shown in the US.

2 comments:

Daphne said...

I'm not at all bad at table-tennis, you know. In fact I may well be the World Champion of Gledhow.

rhymeswithplague said...

I sincerely hope and pray there are no teams from Uranus.

Most Recent Awards

Most Recent Awards