Friday, January 23, 2009

Oscar Nominated ?

We're just coming out the other side of a very cold snap here in (still) sunny Buttonwood Bay. Overnight Wednesday it dropped to 25F.  That's brrrrrrr when you're not prepared for it.

But being a hardy Brit, I never let up on the daily walks and simply threw on the fleece top and sweat pants and headed out like Captain Oates leaving his tent when he turned and said "I'm off out for a ciggie and a jimmy riddle. Mine's the blue mug and Scotty, leave me a jaffa cake, will you."

Ahhh famous last words indeed !

After my walk, as the sun was shining and the sky was blue, I got the camcorder and went back out (I know, I know, how brave) to take some more shots around the park. Well I did warn you all.  It was bizarre feeling so cold and walking past palm trees.  I felt like I was in Cornwall in July.

Just two points to make.

There are a few seconds in the middle of the video where I'm on the move with the camera.  As I've still not got the budget for a proper steadycam assembly, I had to make do with riding my push bike.  The results are less than impressive and I apologise in advance for any sensory upset that may occur.

The second point is a question.  The bird up on the tree top.......anyone know what it was ?  I'm all out of ideas after albatross and robin and I'm sure it's neither of those.  Feel free to offer suggestions.

So feed the cat to the dog, snuggle up in the comforter and enjoy.  Remember to wait about a minute after clicking on the start arrow as it takes a while to get going. I know the feeling !!

6 comments:

Jennytc said...

Lovely video. Next best thing to being there, Ian. :)

Daphne said...

The bird of prey is an osprey! Amazing! People go up to Scotland and spend days searching for them and there it is, a hundred yards from your house. Of course it's a fish-eating bird so it's in the right place.

rhymeswithplague said...

It may be cold where you are, but that was the warmest 6 minutes and 31 seconds I've spent in quite a while. Absolutely first rate!

Kate said...

Really, really lovely, Ian. Sparkles on the water 'an all.
Cracking!

Anonymous said...

That was really lovely. The white birds are beautiful, but I suppose you don't know what they are, either!

I hope you're going to go back when that enormous cactus is in full flower, I'd love to see it. It will be magnificent! I have a miniature version in the conservatory.

Luanne said...

Hi Ian,
This is Deb's cousin Luanne. I've been reading your blog for a while now but never commenting, but I just had to give you kudo's for today's video. Your choice of music was great too.

I'm always amazed at the things you capture with your camera that the rest of us would pass by.

I thought it was about time to finally say hi and let you know how much I appreciate you making me feel like I'm right there in Florida instead of this sub zero climate I'm living in.

Hope your last 60 days in the states will be enjoyable.

Most Recent Awards

Most Recent Awards