Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Dunkerque Spirit

The Italian Bunch (Daphne, Stephen and myself) had so much fun touring parts of Northern Italy together last summer that we planned on 'doing' Ireland this summer. I was excited to show my friends around my home country, N. Ireland, but it struck me last night that I just wasn't getting a 'buzz' about touring the South.

I looked at other options and felt I wanted to go the other way and cross over to The Continent again as I've never visited 99% of it. I've been to parts of France, Spain, Austria, Germany, Holland and, of course Italy, but that only amounts to the remaining 1%.

I talked it over with Daphne and she was enthusiastic about the change of plans as she really only wanted to see N. Ireland too and we can all possibly go there on a long weekend sometime, probably not this year though.

So where do we go ? Right now we've no idea !

I've looked at channel ferry crossings in early August and we'll most likely take the Dover to Dunkerque route but then where ? Well it's less than an hours drive to the beautiful Belgian town of Bruges (Brugge), with a centre that is a World Heritage Site and I've always wanted to go there. That's a good start.

Less than 3hrs drive north from Bruges and you are in Amsterdam, capital of The Netherlands and the home town of Daphne's brother, Michael, and his family. If that's not a good enough reason for a visit, then I want to see its famous canals and even its numerous cannabis coffee houses so that I can say I left Amsterdam on a high !

After that, I think we're open to any suggestions and will most likely head due south to spend the bulk of the trip (2 weeks +) touring around the (hopefully) beautiful French countryside as if it's one feature of the Italian trip that we loved more than anything else, it was the stunning Tuscan countryside. I'm sure France can deliver too.

So as I know I get occasional readers from France and also readers who have toured France, I'd be really pleased to receive any advice about places to visit and also about scenic drives. Of course I can put my surfing skills to good use over the next couple of months as once the ferry crossings have been booked, there is nothing else to do but create a touring route.

I'm happy to report that the 'buzz' has returned.


Ruth said...

My brother in law is French and he holidays with my sister and their son in France every year. He takes the most fantastic photos. Last year Toulouse and the Pyrenees provided rich material. You can probably see them on Flickr - his Flickr name is chakchouka
This link may work if you paste it into your browser -

Silverback said...

Thanks for the link, Ruth, and yes, they are wonderful photos. My buzz is even buzzier now !

Daphne said...

Yes, I'm really looking forward to it too. Though I used to think - when I was small - that Dunkerque was spelled "Dunkirk" and that it was a place in Scotland. Because it sounds as though it SHOULD be. And I'm still half-convinced that it is!

rhymeswithplague said...

I think your little group should split its time among Andorra, San Marino, Leichtenstein, and Malta.

Most Recent Awards

Most Recent Awards