Thursday, November 08, 2007

Moving On

It was a close call but I got my 2000th visitor yesterday after all. Thanks to every one of you and keep visiting.

This morning we took Pixie for her vet appt and Dr. Max was cautiously optimistic with her progress. She still can't walk or even get up onto her back legs but she sure reacts to being nipped now. He used his plier tool 3 or 4 times on both her back paws and Pixie yelped every time.

So did I.

I know it has to be done but to hear her hit a note that only other dogs (and dog owners) can hear is very upsetting. She always looks back at us as if to say "I'll be good in future, honest. I didn't mean to poop on the floor this morning but my ass IS dysfunctional you know"

So Dr. Max said he was 80%-85% optimistic and we'll take that. We take her back in 2 weeks time for another checkup. It's almost a 4 hour round trip for a 10-15 minute checkup but it's still the nearest vet hospital. We have a good vet here in Sebring but these checkups are all part of the overall surgery and followup that was paid for just over 3 weeks ago.

We just need to continue with the twice daily therapy, give her a quarter of a steroid pill twice a day and see how things go.

We're cautiously optimistic now too but can't wait for her to regain bladder and bowel control. That'll be a joyous time for us all. Running her out of the house several times a day with a piece of kitchen roll slapped to her butt isn't my idea of fun. However, walking her around, holding her ass up with a folded up length of towelling IS fun. It's a real hoot actually and gets plenty of comments from passing walkers.

There is quite a high skill factor involved as if you hold her up too high, her back legs never touch the ground and it's all a bit pointless. Too low and she's dragging her legs like dead twigs and as well as looking awful, will risk giving her sores. Just right and it should eventually stimulate some form of basic locomotive action to begin - although we've yet to see it.

So as with a lot of things in life, it's a question of getting the right balance.

I've created a couple of posts already about my own 'walking back to happiness' routine after my 2nd heart attack and this is just another version of it (and should ensure I get more blog hits - it's amazing how many people Google this lyric).

I can't wait for the day I can take Pixie out for a proper walk again and we can be thankful that our 6 legs are fully functional. She's quite happy and contented 'in herself' but I bet she could live without ever seeing those pliers again.

You and me both, girl.

2 comments:

Daphne said...

Your readers are crying out for photographic evidence of the Towelling Dog Walker. Well, this one is, anyway.
Very good to hear the better news, though, and I hope that her progress continues.

Anonymous said...

Whoo, hoo!
Sounds like Pixie is on the mend. But I'm with Daphne - pictures of "towel walkies" would be a hoot. Hang in there.

Most Recent Awards

Most Recent Awards