Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Creepy Jungle In Buttonwood Bay

In my Good Morning America post, I mentioned the nature trail that runs along the north east part of the park - unlike the other trail that runs at the south west and alongside Jackson Creek.
Although very pleasant to ride/walk/golf cart along, the creek trail is hardly a nature trail.

The first one, on the other hand, has more 'nature' than I'd care to come across even in daylight. I said I'd post some photos to show how the gardens of the homes that the trail runs past come right up to what I can only describe as a jungle - and I will post them soon.

Until today it was only in my darkest moments that I gave any thought to just what might lurk 'out there' and even gators came to mind. Every time I've been along that trail, I've hurried up when I've heard the rustling noises coming from the dense foliage. Ok so most of the time a 2 inch lizard thing has jumped out onto the trail and I've rebuked myself for being a wimpy Brit and for soiling another pair of skivvies that would otherwise have lasted me the week !

I never feared walking along the trail. I never feared biking along the trail. After today, I fear both. And in broad daylight too. Even with the very favourable exchange rate, you couldn't pay me enough $$$'s to go along that trail after dark.

And here is the reason why......................

Click on the photo and have a good look at this fella. Actually I've no idea if it is a fella and I wasn't going to go closer to check.

It was about 6"-7" long and that's just from one end of it's body to the other. Add in a bit for the legs and you get the idea of how big a brute this was.

And where was it ? Hanging from it's newly spun web right across the trail. A tall person on a bike would have had a close encounter unlike any dreamed up by Steven Spielberg. It makes me shiver just to think of it.

As you can see, it was hanging on by just 2 of it's legs and you can also see a strand of fresh 'silk' going from it's abdomen up to the existing web. This gave the impression it was ready to drop on any unsuspecting passerby, be it human or animal.

As I'd no idea if it was poisonous or would just give me a playful nip in passing, I didn't get too close. I didn't have my telephoto lens with me and this photo was taken with just the standard 18-55mm lens.

If I ply myself with enough drugs and alcohol, I may return tomorrow with my telephoto lens and monopod (to try and steady my shaking hands) and check if it's still there.

I'll probably dream of the bloody thing tonight and 'see' it dragging a poor old resident off into the jungle.

I'll be checking under the sheets for sure.

1 comment:

Daphne said...

I think you've forgotten that we have giant spiders in the UK too. There's one that's been living on the outside of our kitchen window for weeks.
It's nearly an inch long now. And your Florida one was how big? - - ah. Yes. I see.

Most Recent Awards

Most Recent Awards